We are proud of who we are and our communities where we bank and work. ValueBank Texas is an independently owned community bank that has been serving our customers since 1967. We like to say that we are in the “people business” and there is no business more important to us than your business. We call our customers friends. Our driving force is how can we best help our customers by offering the latest in financial technology to make your banking easier and more efficient without loosing the personal service you have come to expect.
- ValueBank Texas originated in 1967 as Texas State Bank and was chartered in 1966.
- The year 1972 saw a new bank building constructed on Leopard Street in Corpus Christi, which is still used today.
- The following year (1973) Texas State Bank had a name change to the International Bank of Corpus Christi to better reflect the potential growth of the port-connected business.
- In 1982, a six-story office building was added on to the bank building. Today it serves a diversity of tenants, as well as, the bank’s executive offices.
- Over the next ten years (1972-1982), the International Bank of Corpus Christi would acquire four separate banks all located in the surrounding communities of Corpus Christi.
- The year 1986 saw new ownership, new vision and new growth. Harlan Heitkamp knew in order for the bank to move forward and grow there had to be a change, so he and a group of investors purchased The International Bank of Corpus Christi.
- In January of 1987, the Texas Legislature passed a new intrastate banking law, which allowed branch banking in the state of Texas.
- On May 8, 1991, the Texas Department of Banking approved the merger of the five separate chartered banks into four branches of The International Bank of Corpus Christi under the new name, The International Bank.
- In March of 1997, First International Bancshares Inc a Texas holding company was organized and this holding company indirectly owns The International Bank.
- After the merger, 1995-1998 saw growth opportunities for The International Bank with new branches in areas that increased visibility in the market place.
- The first two new branch locations were built in 1995. One branch was built on the Southside of Corpus Christi and the other branch was opened in Portland.
- With the addition of these two new branches to the system, The International Bank now had a total of six locations and our name became a stronger player in the South Texas bank market. At this same time, a large regional bank came into the market with a similar name and it created confusion.
- ValueBank Texas was established on December 31, 1998 to better reflect our identity.
- In 1999, ValueBank Texas built branches in Rockport and another branch in the Midtown area of Corpus Christi.
- In 2000, Scott Heitkamp became President of ValueBank Texas and Harlan Heitkamp remained CEO/Chairman of the organization.
- Two years later, in 2002, Harlan Heitkamp retained his title as Chairman of the Board, but stepped down as CEO.
- Scott Heitkamp is the President/CEO of ValueBank Texas.
The last ten years have seen technology enter the banking environment and with that introduction we have seen tremendous opportunities in the way ValueBank Texas conducts business. We are still customer oriented, but now we can offer the latest products and services through our new banking systems. This new technology has allowed us the opportunity to expand outside of our current markets and into other areas that we see potential growth. In 2010, ValueBank Texas added a new branch location in the Richmond/Katy area.
Our eyes are always looking forward to new growth opportunities, but always focused on personal service and our customers.